Please read this page carefully before completing and submitting your transit visa application.
All travel through Ghana to another country requires a Transit Visa, even if you do not depart the airport.
Transit Visa Requirements
- Application form must be completed in duplicate (i.e. 2 copies) and in CAPITAL LETTERS.
- Passport must be valid for at least (6) six months to expiration.
- Two (2) recent passport-sized photographs of the applicant (taken not more than six months prior to application) and showing full face of applicant, without hat, cap and sun glasses. NOTE: for your convenience passport photos are available at the Consulate.
- Present a Photocopy of your round trip ticket or Travel Itinerary.
- If you are not a citizen of Australian, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands or PNG, then you must submit proof of your Permanent Residence Visa, Student Visa or a valid Work Visa, as an additional requirement.
- Minors and children under the age of 18 travelling to Ghana need written parental authorisation including copies of parents' passports and/or Residence Permit.
- Applicants, who may have to mail their applications to the Consulate, must provide a self-addressed Express Post Envelope, Platinum Express Post, Courier bag for return postage.
- Yellow Fever Vaccination: In accordance with international health regulations, all persons entering Ghana are required to have a valid certificate of Immunization against Yellow Fever. Present a copy with your application.
Please read the list of persons exempted from entry visa requirements to Ghana.
Note: If an application for a visa is turned down, the visa-issuing officer is not obliged to offer any explanation. An applicant may however re-apply for a review.
Note: We do not accept unsigned email communication in place of letters.
A visa fee must be paid in Cash or Bank Cheque / Bank Draft payable to: “Ghana Consulate Sydney”
Payment is to be in Australian Dollars. Personal cheques are not acceptable. Visa application fees are non-refundable under any circumstances.
- Single Entry – non-urgent (6 working days) A$140
- Single Entry – express* (3 working days) A$280
- Multiple Entry – non-urgent (6 working days) A$200
- Multiple Entry – express* (3 working days) A$340
Urgent processing within 24 hours or same day is strictly subject to approval and by appointment. Urgent fees apply. Please NOTE ‘days’ means the Consulate office working days.
Note: Payment is to be in Australian Dollars. Personal and company checks are not acceptable. Cash payments only in person. Please do not mail cash.
Note: If mailed, a visa might take longer than twenty-four (24) hours to reach an applicant.
Submitting Your Application
Submit the following documents:
- Completed visa application form
- Valid passport for at least six (6) months (Before Expiration)
- Evidence of financial support or letter of invitation from host in Ghana
- Visa Fee – cash or bank cheque / bank draft
- Two passport-size photographs of applicant. Should be taken at least within the last three months (Very Important). Affix each photograph with glue on the top right comer of the application form. NOTE: for your convenience passport photos are available at the Consulate at a cost of $20.
Applications submitted by mail must be accompanied by prepaid self-addressed overnight, trackable envelope (Platinum Express Post) for return of passports. Only requests accompanied by certified prepaid return envelopes will be processed. However, for your convenience the Consulate can supply Express Post Envelopes at a cost of $30.
Send the completed application to:
Consulate of the Republic of Ghana
Level 7, AWA Building
47 York Street,
Sydney NSW 2000
The Consular Section opens from Monday through Friday Applications are received and collected between the hours of 9:30 a.m to 2:00 p.m. only.
Visas will only be issued when all the above requirements have been fully satisfied. Applicants are, therefore, required to deposit their passports, together with the completed visa application forms, with the supporting documents well ahead of the time of proposed date of travel, in order to avoid possible delays.
In exceptional cases, certain applications shall be referred to Ghana for prior approval. In such cases, the applications may take much longer than the usual processing time.
Applications submitted with inadequate information/requirements will not be accepted or may cause unnecessary delays in processing your application.
These guidelines are subject to change as may be directed by the competent authorities in Ghana and apply to the Consulate of the Republic of Ghana.